Friday, February 4, 2011

Nigerian Civil War



The nigerian civil war happened 1967-1970. This happened because of politics and religion.
That's why I always say never start a conversation with religion or politics. It will cause a fight but no, no one listens to me.
My grandfather was in the war, and he died of illness because of the bombs. The Imo state (my tribe) and Yoruba tribe was fighting the Hausa tribe (East of Nigeria).
Imo state fought with Yoruba because they also wanted their Independence. They wanted to be their own country called Biafra. Imo state got tired of sharing too much of their oil with Yoruba so they wanted to make their own country. They had war with Yoruba. Imo state where very skilled with creating underground bomb. They killed a majority of people.
My mom lived through this and so did my dad. They were very little. Schools were canceled, jobs stopped, people stopped selling foods and children where lost without parents.
My mother said, "Every time we hid to some where safe we always saw a dead body. They would lay bloody in front of our compound or on the field. Our chicken ran loose, or cows died from hunger."
My grandma had to sew their names onto their clothes so they would not loose their identity. My mom couldn't go to school for three years because of this and she lost her dad 9 years later since he was ill from the bombs.
Religion is wonderful but sometimes there's a turn to it as well.

4 comments:

  1. Chidinma, you are Yoruba? I didn't even know. I thought that you were Igbo. Also, you are too right. I know that when I start talking to people about religion we get into fights. The civil war was crazy. My grandmother was alive during the Civil War. My father was alive during the Civil War and they suffered. Chidinma, you are right. I don't think that people should ever talk about religion. Especially if politics is involved. For example, if you are in politics(in Nigeria) many people are different ethnic groups and that can influence a persons religion. If you are in politics and you are Igbo and there is another person that is in politics and they are Hausa, they will fight because Igbo people are usually Christian and Hausa people are usually Muslim. Then they will start to talk about someone else beliefs and say how there religion is wrong. That just starts a long war that people can't afford. Then they have to think about how they are going to recover from the war if it ends. So never ever start a conversation about religion or politics because all you have to do is say something wrong and that can start a huge on-going war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I am sorry, it is just that you said that before. The Nigerian Civil War was devastating. Lots of people died all because of Politics and Religion. I do feel sorry. Also, Politics in Nigeria is horrific.People kill opponents so that they can have the political position and that is just sad. It is hard to talk about Religion these days without people just getting mad at you for your beliefs. Everyone is entitled to there beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, we are all entitled to beleive in certain things.

    ReplyDelete